Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beautiful Vancouver Turns Ugly

THEY HAD ALL THE SUPPORT a hockey team could dream of. Flags, t-shirts and other paraphernalia were flying off the shelves. Expectations were sky high so the disappointment at the Vancouver Canuck’s losing the Stanley Cup game last night to Boston was crushingly low. But the disgusting behavior of people on the streets was a much more monumental disappointment.

Who are the people who acted like vandals and hoodlums setting fires and looting? Most did not bother to disguise their sickening behavior and one spectator stated she knew personally that some came prepared to create the havoc. Win or lose ... a riot seemed inevitable.

Hopefully, the rioters will be held accountable for their shameful acts. Many faces were recognizable and captured with cameras. The presumably drunk and hysterical youth became criminals and a massive embarrassment to Vancouver and all Canuck fans who know how to lose with dignity. It was sad to see the beautiful City of Vancouver suddenly turn so ugly.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

6 comments:

  1. It is sad when something like that happens. I've seen my area turn pretty nuts over college basketball. A different thing but similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so worried because Corina lives downtown, but she wasn't out last night. Dez had gone down to watch the game on one of the big screens, but wasn't in danger from the riots. Took him a long time to get home, however, via the transit system.
    Breaks my heart to know this happened in my home city, and puts a damper on my plans to go downtown when I come out to visit next week.
    Sigh.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Boston/Canuck series was such an exciting ride and it is too bad it ended in such a sad, ugly way. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the TV! It truly broke my heart.

    I agree with you, win or lose, there would have been riots. I saw the facebook entries encouraging the whole thing long before the game was over...xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had that kind of behaviour with soccer games in Holland. Quite sad that they use sport for such poor behaviour

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had many of the same feelings you and your readers expressed here, Penelope. I don't know if you heard Rex Murphy's thoughts on CBC news, but I thought he was right on the money.

    Most would say the riots had nothing to do with hockey, but as much as I enjoyed watching the Canucks series, I do have some thoughts about the violence in hockey, and the way it might encourage the darker side of human nature to emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the link, Carol. I had to do a little further search at CBC’s site to find it but hearing Rex Murphy’s comments was beyond AWESOME!!! He said it so perfectly for every single Canadian sickened by the behavior. I missed the news the day of his remarks so really appreciate you dropping by with the link.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.