Sunday, December 3, 2017

Second Generation Trudeaumania

RAIN POURED down relentlessly as people who came to see Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Gordon Hogg at a high school stood patiently under their umbrellas. A stream of people had been forming since early morning. When the doors opened, I, as well as hundreds of others, squeezed inside the building to find security checks and a place to put our soggy umbrellas. I imagine it was a bit hard to let go of some cuter umbrellas but those were the rules.

The event in the South-Surrey-White Rock riding was billed as a meet and greet and discussion about good middle class jobs and how to create them. In reality, it was a chance to make everyone aware of an important by-election on December 11th and a rare chance to turn the traditionally conservative area liberal. This was thanks to a trusted local candidate, Hogg, who for years was Member of the Legislative Assembly for the conservative leaning BC Liberal Party. Now he was throwing his hat in the ring for Justin.

Honestly, no one cared about labels just then. Emotions were building with the size of the crowd. People from all racial backgrounds, walks of life, physical abilities and challenges, beliefs, ages, big, small, short and tall figuratively stood shoulder-to-shoulder, cameras ready and hopeful Justin would walk by. Someone brought an old poster of Justin's father, Pierre Trudeau, Canada's Prime Minister from 1968 to 1979 and from 1980 to 1984. He also drew a crowd.

When the speeches were over and Justin walked past, I felt suddenly crushed by the people around me. The air was sucked out of the room for a few seconds and my camera rendered useless.

If only I were taller. All I got was a peek. People seemed overwhelmed as Justin got closer and I wondered how a man, who once hoped someone/anyone would show up at his political events, became such a crowd magnet.

Somewhere along the way, Justin became a star.

I think it’s the disheartening times we live in that has drawn people to this attractive man who speaks of unity, elevating all cultures and working together to create a better county, indeed world, for all. People are desperate for a leader with this rare mix of charisma and kindness. But not everyone was impressed.

I smiled at a single sign of displeasure upon leaving the event. Not everyone was enamored with Justin or his Liberal Party policies. But you’ve got to love the freedom this man represented and his right to express his discontent.

At this writing, I’m curious to see what this election will bring. Will the community turn liberal after being a conservative strong hold? They used to say a raccoon running for the conservative party would win in this riding … but now … time will tell.

Postscript Updated Dec. 14, 2017: For the first time in several decades, the Liberal Party of Canada won the South-Surrey-White Rock riding with help from a popular local candidate, Gordon Hogg, who was a mere 1,617 votes ahead of Kerry-Lynne Findlay who led the Conservative Party that until now had been entrenched in the community.

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

See OUR WORLD to explore sights from around the globe.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

8 comments:

  1. It's interesting that this post is about Justin Trudeau. I just returned from Cuba where the memory of his father evokes great admiration, and people are happy that his son has become Prime Minister too. Whenever Trump's name came up people spat - literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a turn-out! I too like Trudeau for his kindness - he really seems to care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots and especially when it was raining and you still took photo's. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to smile at the juxtaposition of Gordon Hogg and Justin Trudeau because I remember Gordie Hogg from high school and I remember when Justin was born. Now they are two trusted politicians...oh, except for the guy in the yellow slicker. TOO funny.
    Hugs from here.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is an eloquent speaker and a dignified leader unlike your neighbour's leader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fascinated that so many people would turn out in the rain for this event - it is encouraging. You did well to capture any shots at such a crowded venue - I like the first one very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Penelope! You captured so nice the zeal and patience of the people. I also like the first image. Canadian prime minister is so popular in Japan. I like him especially for his inclusive attitude. I like it when I hear his name in English (not Japanese English or French) his name sounds “True….”, which sounds like symbolizing who he is like in my impression.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if the guy in the yellow slicker would like to trade countries with us?

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.