Friday, October 13, 2017

Autumn Creeping

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." George Eliot

MOTHER NATURE is sweeping away summer and like Eliot I'm loving it. Petals are scrambling, leaves are drooping, crumbling, swirling in gusts of wind, sliding down slippery wet roads into sewers never to be seen again.

The Virginia Creeper is the first vine to transform and has the brightest blush.

A plant called burning bush is stiff competition when it comes to colour.

Bedding plants such as winter pansies, marked by butterfly wings, are replacing summer blooms.

Warm browns are softening daisies past their prime.

Stunning shades of orange are beginning to cover the ground.

Pumpkins have crept onto our doorsteps and now appear everywhere.

It's an opportunity to get creative painting or carving.

Most pumpkins are orange but this ghostly white one (below) is truly a star.

Current fires in California make it all too easy to imagine life if there were no rain seeping through the veins of a parched earth after an overly hot summer. But would I love a forever-autumn and follow it around the globe like Eliot ... not likely. I'm glad southwest BC experiences all seasons to a moderate degree, although even here weather seems more extreme nowadays.

Greenery can still be found along sandy trails ... rainfall is just beginning. Earth's tilt and rotation as it circles the sun and its location to the sun are the reasons for the seasons. As a wonderstruck resident of a precisely balanced spinning top I can only hope such remarkable synchronicity never stops.

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

See OUR WORLD to explore sights from around the globe.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

12 comments:

  1. I was struck by the last image, Penelope. I felt as if taking off on the umbrella to fly around the earth seeking fabulous finale of the year. I wonder if “delicious” is a pun interpreted as a pleasant autumn and autumn delicacies. Weather has been abnormal and extreme in Japan. This week was like summer in the record hottest October and today temperatures dropped more than 10 degrees suddenly. At last cooling and coloring are going to accelerate. Excited with my favorite season. I was so inspired by this post.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful BC Autumn.... we used to like to RV in the Fall ... and it did feel like chasing the season sometimes.... But eventually we would head South where the season that follows would be warmer and dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty Autumn photos, the composition of each one was lovely, and you started with my favorite quote. I have been thinking of the fires and have read many stories. Wish we could send them some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your autumn colours are beautiful and all the pumpkin art you do over there is so cool Have a fun Halloween We've got a lot of rain overhere as well eventhough it is spring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post - beautiful vines, pretty flowers, it was all thoroughly enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pumpkin with the crow ~ my favorite ~ Great post! ^_^

    A ShutterBug Explores ~ aka ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos - the flowers especially are so beautiful and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos describe beautifully the coming of Autumn. Like you, I am glad I experience all four seasons where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fascinating post. I spent part of my evening stringing freshly fallen leaves for a decoration over our front door - the aroma was so earthy! Tomorrow we will attend a pumpkin carving contest as observers - I look forward to the creativity. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shots. And I agree with George Eliot - I love autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been finding our colors this year on the leaves more vibrant than previous years.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.