Sunday, April 15, 2018

Clean Meat Clear Conscience

If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian. Linda and Paul McCartney

Something called “clean meat" came to my attention recently. It has me excited about a better future for farm animals living under harsh conditions and slaughtered on mass for human consumption. As someone who throughout the years has had minor success but mostly failures eating vegetarian meals exclusively, I’m heartened and in awe of this development. This radical new approach uses the cells of animals, without killing or harming them, to grow the meaty fibers separately in a lab. I can easily imagine this concept broadening to eventually grow human body parts for those in medical need. All we would need is a seed (the cell in this case) and the right nurturing brew to produce a chicken breast or a human kidney. It all sounds weirdly Frankensteinian, doesn't it? But it also sounds doable and wonderfully life sustaining and even healing should it come to pass. If the ornament pictured on my kitchen counter could applaud the idea it surely would. You can learn about the process HERE and HERE.

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

See OUR WORLD to explore more sights from around the globe.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting and I’ll follow the link to read more as soon as I send this. I didn’t need to see inside the slaughterhouse ....After Every time we drove by certain areas in Colorado and California where there are a lot of feedlots, I became a temporary vegetarian....and to this day we eat almost no beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm vegetarian and have been for more than thirty years. Good to hear we can grow fake meat and let animals live a more dignified life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where we live we have the option of farm gate sales from locally grown animals. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that ornament on your kitchen counter. Yes - I hope for clean meat too because I find it difficult to eat chicken breast when I think of the state of the poor birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a very clear labelling system for meat products so that we can chose which meat we buy according to how the animal has been reared. The more humanely the animal has been treated the more expensive the meat. For some families it come down to cost not conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you've struggled, trying to lead a more vegetarian life, and I applaud you, as always. This from-a-cell approach has been use in medical applications for quite a while (i.e. skin grafts), I believe, so it stands to reason it could be used for food products. I looked it up online and found many links to the subject. Best of luck on that, and hope to see you soon.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3223487/
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post ~ so informative and caring ~ sweet photo too!

    Namaste,
    A ShutterBug Explores
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This technology sounds promising as a more humane way to raise meat ... I am little more cautious on the implications on the human side of things ... not sure why ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see something like this come to pass. I'm almost a vegetarian now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of this before. And we've only just touched the tip of the iceburg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s so hard for me to be a pure vegetarian. I can’t avoid fish, dairy foods, and soup broth made of meat bone or fish. Lab-grown clean meat sounds so nice as iPS cells have caused remarkable medical revolution. I hope they will be on the market in near future without disturbed by the maker’s claiming of intellectual property.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Given the fact the plague of humans has already pretty much ruined the earth, with a population of almost eight billions, and growing further out of control, I am not convinced that what we need is a way to grown organs to have people live even longer. Twenty-five years without reproducing would be a much better solution to most of the issues we face.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.