Saturday, September 23, 2017

Chiming In To Make Things Better


"Live for moments you can't put into words," chimed an ornament adjacent to a railway track at Crescent Beach.

The wise advice, meant to inspire, was likely put there by locals wanting to create a serene space for passersby.

The wind-chime decoration dangling from an ornate garden arbor was barely audible as tanks with chemicals and loaded coal cars groaned and hissed, snaking along the track.

The long chain of containers blocked vehicles and walkers from going in and out of the seaside community, a real concern should there be an emergency.

It might take years for activists to convince people in power to reroute the track but meanwhile a thoughtful neighbor with an artistic touch provided seating.

Hand painted panels brought a splash of colour to the chairs. In a world filled with tragic events someone, more often than not, is trying to prevent disaster, beautify, bring comfort and make things better practically or creatively.

Able to cross the track after some twenty minutes, I spotted a strange creature holding a guitar. What could be cozier than a giant moss-covered teddy bear? This unique interpretation of wildlife wasn't alone.

A beaver drummer and bird songstress (below) completed a patriotic Canadian band. Since there was no explanation as to why the soundless musicians were there, I assumed their motionless parade was designed to delight onlookers with wordless moments and, like the train, was just passing through.


Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

See OUR WORLD to explore sights from around the globe.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

11 comments:

  1. Bear, beaver and goose bring a broad smile in troubled times. The chimes are lovely as well as the chairs. Your post also brings a smile Penelope, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Bringing a few smiles and some beauty to our own part of this world -- that is just about all that any of us can do these days it seems like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful...the serenity amid the chaos. I've loved Crescent Beach for as far back as I can remember. Thanks for these, the teddy bear band in particular. Just yesterday, cleaning out the garage, I found my first teddy bear. His name was Hunny, and he slept with me from the time I was a year old, for many, many years. However, his time had come, and so, without a drum or a banjo to accompany his departure, he and some of my other childhood treasures were consigned to my giant (rented) dumpster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to find the unexpected so delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are those chairs set to listen to the sound of the metallic wind chime? The shape of the wind chime looks like Indonesia bamboo wind chime which I had till a few year ago. I liked to hear the lethargic but melodious sound in the sultry air of summer. So nice to be welcomed unexpectedly by the band of bear, beaver and bird.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I forgot...the sound of a train...like a lullabye to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh some nice chairs to wait in and I absolutely adore the animal band. So beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I've been here before (just so you know that-- for today anyway -- my memory is more or less all here. Dropped by to say how much I enjoy your other blog -- great vignettes of BC life and perfectly and often funny titles. I particularly enjoyed 'together until the end' on the yard sale leftover bird pic..... and I needed some smiles today! As we all do no doubt. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely chairs! The animals are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminds me that Halloween is right around the corner and I had better get some treats for all my little friends who will be coming around.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.