Sunday, May 5, 2013

Surprising Discoveries Down The Rabbit Hole

THIS COLOURFUL painter's palette by the side of the road caught my eye when I was running errands in Ocean Park one Saturday afternoon.

Although I didn't plan to take in an art show, something compelled me to step inside the community hall where creative members from A Breath Of Fresh Art happened to be showing their work.

The first person I noticed was a local artist and friend. I hadn't chatted with Carolynn Doan for quite some time so it was a nice surprise to see her there and to catch up on the news. Turns out she's not only a terrific artist but a prolific thought-provoking writer. I learned about her blog The Tao In Art and looked forward to visiting it soon.

After exploring the work of others and snapping a final picture of a basket filled with Carolynn's bird drawings, I set off for my next destination.

I did not expect to see another bird later that day when I took a spontaneous walk through the forest at Kwomais Point Park.

I have heard this owl hoot for many months if not years without ever actually seeing it. What a pleasure it was to find it perched in the branches. The thick greenery of the forest surrounding the bird gave it an emerald glow.

Soon after, I stumbled onto another sign. I followed its trail to discover a wedding underway at the bluff area of the park. I learned the theme of the wedding was "down the rabbit hole" from the Alice In Wonderland stories by Lewis Carroll. Although I did not know them personally, it was clear to me that the couple about to get married were imaginative and playful.

The white rows of chairs carefully positioned in the open air would soon be filled with people anticipating the arrival of the bride and groom.

I kept a respectful distance but was able to spot the Mad Hatter who (in keeping with the Alice theme) stood out significantly while sitting in his chair.

The wedding unfolded beautifully like the composition of a well conceived painting. The bride entered the scene in traditional white. There was no breeze to flutter her veil or cloud to keep the sun from her face.

The attendants looked lovely in their finery. Splashes of brilliant red sashes or shawls made the dresses of the bridesmaids come alive.

Casual strollers in the neighborhood, and even their pets, seemed enthralled by the unforeseen yet joyful event unfolding in their midst.

Penelope Puddle Meets A Rabbit
Although my day got off its intended path and I did not accomplish all I had planned, the impromptu moments of the afternoon lifted my spirits. As creator of the Winnie-the-Pooh stories A.A. Milne once said: “One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries.”

To view more sights from around the globe visit Our World.

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

8 comments:

  1. A lovely post indeed. It's always so much fun to enjoy these happenings when you didn't know they would be happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delightful post. Great to run into your friend and catch up. The palette would have caught my eye too. Great shot of the owl. I hear them but rarely see them and have never gotten a photo of an owl. I also enjoyed your wedding shots and commentary. This whole post was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! This is a lovely description of a delightful day. Thank you so much for sharing it. I might link to your post from my Alice in Wonderland blog, which I don't keep up much these days. But every now and then something comes along that catches my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting day. I enjoyed looking at those paintings especially the vase of sunflowers - beautiful. I can't imagine just spotting an owl like that. Wow. Then an Alice in wonderland wedding - whatever next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A outdoor wedding in May, in WR?

    Wow, they were taking a gamble..but it turned out wonderfully.

    Love the owl...how amazing that you got a shot.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joyful encounter one after another! If I were you, I’d be most pleased with seeing that beautiful, wondrous and mysterious looking owl. What a good luck! Wish you more sunny and warm days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE all the surprise discoveries you happened upon! No wonder your spirit was uplifted. It's great to act spontaneously now and then. Too much sticking to plan can get old fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a great shot of the owl! I hear one in the woods every day but have not caught sight of him just yet.

    This was a really delightful description of a day completely spent in the moment. Magical! xx

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.